Best time to visit
Unsure when to visit Australia? Our travel experts at First Class share the best times to go depending on your interests.
Where to go
There's so much to see and do in Australia. From the fascinating culture of Uluru to the city lights of famous Sydney.
Find out everything you need to know before you travel including language, money, the latest government advice and more.
Be inspired by our range of itineraries in our Australia brochure. We can personalise any element of your trip to how you want it.
You will be sure to love your time in Australia, there is so much to take in, in this vast country. From the natural beauty, fascinating culture to the spectacular landscapes and vibrant cities.
Passports & Visas:
- You will need to apply for a Visa to visit Australia, unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen. All other passport holders need to apply before leaving home, you can apply for a visa here.
- Visas vary in costs and restrictions depending on the type of holiday you wish to take to Australia, please visit the Australian government website for advice.
Language & Culture:
- English is the official language of Australia, although the country is a multicultural nation, so it will be common to hear a range of languages.
- The Aboriginal culture is very important to Australia and this can be discovered in Northern Territory.
Food & Drink in Australia:
- With a world-class food and drink scene, Australia has a lot to offer, from its gastronomy, regional markets and food festivals. Regions like Barossa Valley and Margaret River are famous for the wine, while there is an ever-growing craft beer scene.
- Some Australian specialities include Sydney rock oysters, macadamia nuts and kangaroo.
- Hotels and restaurants do not add service charges to your bill, and tipping is always your choice. In upmarket restaurants, it is common to tip waiters 10 per cent of the bill for good service.
Money & Expenses:
- Major credit cards are widely accepted but use may in restricted in smaller towns and the outback.
- A Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 10% is in place in Australia, you may be able to claim a refund for the GST paid on goods if you have spent AUD$300 or more with a single business, no more than 60 days before departing Australia.
Government Travel Advice for Australia:
- For the latest information on the country's safety, visit the official government website here
Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) (GMT +10)
Queensland, NSW, Victoria & Tasmania
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) (GMT +9.5)
South Australia, Northern Territory and the town of Broken Hill in western NSW
Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) (GMT +8)
From 17 hours to 22+ hours
Australian Dollar $
A-Z OF AUSTRALIA
Our bite-sized A-Z of Australian territories and regions provides you will all of the must-see places and activities that this wonderful country has to offer, from the vibrant city of Brisbane, the iconic rail journey that is Journey Beyond and the natural wonder of the Great Barrier Reef.